The fifth phase of Uttar Pradesh assembly elections 2022 started today, February 27. Voting will take place today in a total of 61 precincts across the state, with the fate of more than 600 election candidates pending.
About 2.4 million voters will turn out at the polls today for the fifth round of voting in Amethi, Raebareli, Ayodhya, Sultanpur, Chitrakoot, Pratapgarh, Kaushambi, Prayagraj, Barabanki, Bahraich, Shravasti and Gonda districts.
Voting in Uttar Pradesh constituencies started at 7am today and will continue until 6pm. In addition, the electoral commission has published a list of Covid-19 guidelines for voters to follow at the voting booths.
Elections 2022 in Uttar Pradesh: Covid-19 brakes for voters
- Voters showing symptoms of Covid-19 will be asked to vote during the final hour of voting.
- Voters with symptoms related to Covid-19 will receive a PPE kit for their safety and that of everyone else at the polling station.
- Voters will be required to dispose of the used glove in a trash can and sanitize their hands before leaving the polling station after casting their vote.
- The thermal temperature of voters will be measured when they come to the polling booth.
- If the voter’s temperature is higher than usual, they will be asked to return to the polling booth within the last hour of voting.
- No gadgets will be allowed inside the voting booth.
- Voters will have to line up maintaining a physical distance of 6 feet.
- Several Covid-19 safety equipment such as masks, PPE kits, face shields, disinfectants, thermal scanners, soap and gloves will be made available at the polling station.
Assembly elections in Uttar Pradesh began on February 10 and are being held in a total of seven phases. The next phase of the elections, Phase 6, will take place on March 3, while the counting of votes in the state will take place on March 10.
The main political parties vying for the elections in Uttar Pradesh are BJP, Samajwadi Party, BSP and Aam Aadmi Party. Currently, the BJP forms the state government, led by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.